Massage for pregnancy, as at any other time, is a wonderful tool to help relax and revive the mind, body and spirit.
Through the 40 weeks the baby is growing in the womb a woman’s body has a great deal to do and undergoes many changes, both hormonal and physical. These changes can cause a variety of problems, ranging from morning sickness to swollen ankles, feet and fingers.
It is also a time when an expectant mother can experience strong emotional feelings. Throughout pregnancy babies are very aware of the environment outside the womb and the emotional state of the mother. As well as helping to relieve many of the common minor ailments associated with pregnancy, massage can help the mother, and therefore the baby; remain in a balanced and healthy state physically, mentally and spiritually.
This joyful and enriching course will give you the knowledge and confidence to work with this client group. You will develop a good understanding of the anatomy of pregnancy and the changes occurring. As a result of this knowledge you can then adapt your massage accordingly.
This course is a two day attendance course facilitated by a tutor with 15 years’ experience working in this field. The course will be supported by pre-course reading which will be reviewed in class.
Anatomy and Physiology Review: – This will guide you through the changes that occur to our clients’ body during pregnancy.
In the pre-course reading we will be reviewing
- The structure and function of the relevant anatomical systems. : Skin : Endocrine : Digestive : Muscular : Skeletal : Circulation : Reproductive
- How pregnancy brings about change to each system
- The stages of pregnancy
- Foetal development
- Common conditions during pregnancy
As soon as you have booked onto the course you will be sent your pre-course reading. Once completed there is a self-assessment section for you to complete at the end of the module. It is a requirement to study the anatomy and physiology section and pass the test prior to attending the practical weekend. This will equip you to fully benefit from the practical weekend.
Practical Days:- The attended course will be fully dedicated to the practical aspects of pregnancy massage.
We will cover the following:
- Contraindications to complementary treatment during pregnancy
- Complications/problems during pregnancy
- Benefits and contraindications – general and specific to pregnancy
- Special considerations for massage throughout the three trimesters
- Positioning of client and adapting the massage to suit the client
- In-depth knowledge and treatment plan for common conditions of pregnancy
- Pregnancy Consultations/ Therapeutic relationship
- Pregnancy massage Routine.
- Rebozo techniques for relaxation and positioning
- Breech Babies
- Post Natal Massage techniques
- C section scar tissue techniques
- After Care advice
- Suggested further reading
Who Can Attend?
This workshop is designed for practitioners, qualified in any form of Body Massage Therapy.
Recognition by Professional Associations
Widely accepted by most Professional Bodies. If you are not already registered with a Professional Body and would like to do so here are some useful links – ICGT, CtHA, FHT. For stand alone insurance Balens
The course will be largely practical in content and as a result, you will need appropriate clinic workwear for the duration. This is very much a hands-on course therefore allowing sufficient time to practice and perform the techniques under the guidance of the tutor. During the course, you will partner up with another therapist and will get the chance to perform the techniques taught as well as being the recipient. This is because understanding what the technique should feel like is an invaluable tool for you as a therapist.
Duration: 2 day
Tutor: Jacqui Dark – see our MSCM Tutor Page
Course fees include the following:
- All class tuition
- A comprehensive course manual
- An MSCM Certificate of Attendance for your professional portfolio
- 10 cpd points
To book a place on any of our courses please remember to create an account first (if you haven’t already got one.)
Create account here
If you already have an account please remember to log-in first
March 2023 - Weekend Staring 11th March - 10am - 5pm
Cost: £195.00 (+VAT)