This course is focused on you as the therapist learning the hands free techniques combined with good posture to make your massage effortless. It also covers basic principles that will enable you to work safely without using hands– looking after your own body and working with sensitivity. It has been designed to help you to save your fingers, thumbs and wrists (the most common areas of strain for practitioners) while applying firm pressure. This course focuses on forearm and elbow techniques which can be blended into a ‘normal’ oil massage with the client on the usual height massage table, and with the client either seated in an ordinary chair or a portable massage chair. The techniques can be used as a standalone treatment or combined into your existing routine. From oil effleurage to working deeper into the clients trigger points the hands free techniques using forearms, upper arms and elbows taught are simple to learn but effective to use.
Hands-free massage can help relax or rejuvenate, release tense muscles, increase blood circulation and improve detoxification. Using the soft, inner part of the forearms enables you to spread the pressure over a much wider area than is possible with traditional massage techniques. Muscle fibres can be worked smoothly and easily, helping to ease away any tension, adhesions and knots. It delivers a treatment that will make your clients feel that their tensions have been ‘ironed’. Their muscles will feel less tense and muscular dysfunction to deliver a therapeutic, deep but relaxing massage.
The aim is to expand your repertoire and freshen your approach, to help you be more effective when applying pressure while saving your hands, thereby helping you to maintain your career.
The course is mainly practical and includes:
- Conditions of the hands and arms such as Repetitive Strain Injury (RSI), causes and prevention
- Hand, arm and wrist warm up exercises and self-protection exercises
- Introduction to concept of hands free massage
- Benefits and effects of the treatment
- A range of forearm and elbow techniques that can substitute for and extend ‘classic’ massage techniques for varied pressures
- How and where to best use them
- How to feel with these massage ‘tools’
- How to use them skilfully and sensitively, including ways of moderating the pressure that you are applying
- How to adapt them to different client builds, tensions and responses
- How to blend them effortlessly into your preferred massage routine
- How to monitor and adapt to the client’s responses
- How to support this with good body use, rather than working too hard with your arms and shoulders
You will learn to effectively and confidently use the forearms and elbow to work on clients at a deeper muscular level using:
- the forearm – for powerful stretches and mobilisations.
- the inner forearm – for applying widespread general pressure and for firm sweeping strokes, especially on the back and legs, ranging from medium to firm pressure.
- the ulna forearm and the bony areas around the elbow for applying focused pressure
- the precision elbow tools – for very specific work on ‘knots’/points of tension and pressure point techniques
- the whole forearm for mobilising parts of the body and for applying stretches
- the body weight and stretches to maintain or add pressure
- the non-massaging hand for support, precision and palpation.
Please Note: These are strong, powerful tools, which can deliver harm and bruising pressure to clients if they are used without care. Therefore, using them skilfully and learning how to adapt each technique to a range of builds, tolerances and reactions is a core part of our training.
Who Can Attend?
You must be a qualified Massage therapist, Aromatherapist or Manual therapist (Level 3 or above) to attend this course.
This course is especially useful for those therapists whose hands are not as agile as they once were or who have developed strain from over-use and for busy therapists looking to prevent injury and offer a wider range of techniques.
Recognition by Professional Associations
Validated by IPTI – (Independent Professional Therapists International) and widely accepted by most Professional Bodies
The workshop will be largely practical in content and you will be required to wear appropriate clinic workwear for the duration of the course. During the session you will practise on each other under the supervision of the tutor who will offer guidance and feedback.
Duration: 1 day
Course fees include:
~ All class tuition
~ A comprehensive course manual
~ An MSCM Certificate of Attendance for your professional portfolio
~ 5 cpd points
Course DatesPlease note - all deposits and course fees are non-refundable.
All transfers are at the discretion of the school and would be subject to an administrative charge of £25.00 (+VAT)
September 2019 - Wednesday - 10am - 5pm
Cost: £95.00 (+VAT)