We all realise that recent years have brought an amazing progress to the field of aromatherapy making it more of an ‘aroma-medicine’ rather than ‘relaxing’ or ‘pampering’ therapy of the past. Gone are the days of blending with ‘top’, ‘middle’ and ‘base’. Essential oils are no longer seen as having dozens of therapeutic properties, each of which we are meant to memorize. The medicinal qualities and uses of individual oils are better understood nowadays as a result of scientific research.
Those who trained some time ago may be unfamiliar with the new perspectives. It is however daunting and not always easy to ‘catch up’ on our own… There are not that many books or aromatherapy conferences presenting the subject at the current level, research is difficult to find and either expensive to access or worded in a too scientific language… Often what we need to keep us on track some structured interaction with the tutor and fellow therapists to make the process easier and most importantly enjoyable.
Feedback from our aromatherapy workshops confirm that many aromatherapists feel that they have got somehow stuck ‘back in time’ and would have loved to train in this subject now, in the days of clinical science based aromatherapy.
Well now you have the opportunity to do so……we have developed a refresher course like no other, which enables you to revisit the core elements of the training with current facts. No exams! No case studies! No massage! Just wall to wall information! It offers you both the chance to refresh and update your knowledge and also to rekindle your passion for subject, fill in the gaps and to grow further. It will also strengthen the foundations for fuller understanding of the many advanced workshops we have available and offers an easier path for those who wish to take their aromatherapy studies further.
This comprehensive 8-day essential oil therapy refresher course enables you to revisit your aromatherapy training and offers you a unique opportunity to take a leap into the 21st century aromatherapy – clinical aroma-medicine!
During the course, alongside students new to aromatherapy, we will re-examine the basics and build on them to bring ourselves upto speed with the current knowledge and understanding of aromatherapy. To achieve this we will revisit the core aspects of aromatherapy training:- from methods of application, in depth profiles of 60 essential and a wide range of vegetable oils, basic science and modern therapeutic blending approach to research based information.
There has never been a better time to be an aromatherapist. Aromatherapy of the 21st century is more credible than ever! During the last two decades many fantastic scientific discoveries have been brought to the field of aromatherapy.
These developments coupled with scientific research allow us to work more specifically and in many different ways – here are some examples:
- A better understanding of the therapeutic properties of oils and their chemical constituents enables us to have an accurate understanding of which conditions each of the oils is best for? We can now focus on the principal therapeutic properties and fewer conditions, making practice simpler yet potentially more beneficial.
- A greater understanding of the chemical make-up of essential and fixed oils leads to more specific selection and application of essential oils for particular conditions – choose the best oil for the job at hand! (Did you know we can combat MRSA?!)
- Validation (or not!!) of so called ‘traditional uses’ of many essential oils. (Did you know that modern science has actually measured free radical scavenging ability of many essential oils? This means that we can now choose best antioxidants for our skin care formulations! And no, frankincense does not seem to be the best one! )
- Interaction of essential oils with medication – stay safe! (Did you know that some chemical compounds very commonly occurring in essential oils speed up the absorption of drugs over 50 times?!!)
- Scientific Synergy – within the oil and within the blend! Blending of essential oil for therapeutic application based on their composition rather than restrictive perfumery ‘notes’ system.
- Non-massage applications are gaining popularity and changing aromatherapy practice – use them in your practice too!
- Understanding of how aromatherapy works on emotional level is now based on science!
This is a flexible course – you are welcome to attend it all or pick and choose sections that interest you most!
No exam and no case studies! No pressure – just information in simple-to-understand language, new skills and professional development!
To give you an idea of some of the material that will be covered:
- The basics of modern aromatherapy – the myths, the media, the high street versus the real thing!
- Connect to the sources of oils – Why and how do plants produce essential and fixed oils?
- In search of the oils – seeds, rhizomes, flowers, etc. – where are the oils stored?
- Classification of plants – how to use this knowledge and why is it ‘a must’ for a professional aromatherapist?
- General therapeutic properties of the essential oils of each botanical family
- Whole day – AROMATHERAPY FIELD TRIP – KEW GARDENS!!
- Various methods of application including to burn or not to burn…? Plus how to stay safe
- Dosage- ITEC guidelines and outside ITEC – recommendations of leading bodies – stay safe (not all books are!)
- Safety– up to date approach – oils that should never be used, oils that should be used with caution, contraindications – conditions and oils
- How to smell the oils like a pro
- How to get the most of your oils – buying oils, storing oils, etc – crucial to the successful practice!
- The historical background of aromatherapy– the myths and the reality
- Sources of modern aroma-information
- Focusing on the oils (fixed & essential)–a close in-depth look
- Chemistry of essential oils – the basic science – open the door to modern aroma-medicine
- Methods of extraction (including Cohobation, fractional distillation, solvent extraction and others) and what it means in terms of aromatherapy practice – the difference between essential oils, absolutes and extracts – what they are and how to use them (or not)
- Chemistry of essential oils – the basic science – open the door to modern aroma-medicine
- Types/groups of chemical constituents common in essential oils – terpenes, alcohols, phenols, aldehydes, etc–learning what is what?
- Why is chemistry important? – contraindications, precautions and therapeutic effects for each group of chemical constituents and how it affects the practice of aromatherapy
- Adulteration and the quality of fixed and essential oils – methods of quality control and how to take advantage of them
- Therapeutic properties – science based approach – how does it work and why?
- How to use science to maximise the effects of your treatments
- Stay safe – friendly and not so friendly components of essential oils – make informed choices
- Essential oils and chemotypes – a key to success! You simply must know them!
- Blending essential oils – how to do it well and benefit your clients
- Modern synergistic blending based on components of essential oils (therapeutic rather than blending based on perfumery notes of the past)
- Learning to use your nose
- The all-important ratios – how to work them out – and staying safe.
- How does it work? – the theories of synergy and adaptogen
- Guidelines for creating synergistic blends
- The ‘connection’ between the chemical composition of essential oils and therapeutic blending – how to get it right?!
- Different approaches to blending
- The historical/traditional ‘notes’ system
- The aroma-groups system
- The scientific approach (based on chemical composition of essential oils)
- Selecting and blending oils (essential and vegetable) for the particular common problems
- Designing blends – guidelines for good blending
- Equalisers/modifiers and enhancers
- Odour Intensity
- ‘Best oil for…’ the job at hand
- Blending for the ‘first time Client’ and for an ‘emergency’ treatment
- The ‘gentlemen’ and the ‘rascals’
- How to ‘save’ a blend that ‘went wrong’
- And many other secrets of a Pro.
Who Can Attend?
This special course is the ultimate refresher course for those already qualified in Aromatherapy. It will be beneficial to those who trained some time ago, those who haven`t been in practice for a while and who want to bring their knowledge upto date or those who’s previous training was at a more basic level.
Recognition by Professional Associations
Validated by IPTI – (Independent Professional Therapists International) and widely accepted by most Professional Bodies
The course will be largely practical in content and you will be required to wear appropriate clinic workwear for the duration of the course. During the practical bodywork sessions you will practise on each other under the supervision of the tutor who will offer guidance and feedback.
Duration 8 days
Course fees include:
- All class tuition
- A comprehensive course manual
- Entrance Fee to Kew Gardens
- An MSCM Certificate of Attendance for your professional portfolio
- 30 cpd points
Course DatesPlease note - all deposits and course fees are non-refundable.
All transfers are at the discretion of the school and would be subject to an administrative charge of £25.00
If the course is full and you would like to join the waiting list please either send us an email at email@example.com or book on-line without payment