Make Your Own SLS and SLES Free Hand Soap/Bodywash/Shampoo Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (commonly known as SLS) is a widely used and inexpensive chemical found in many mainstream personal hygiene products such as shampoos, bodywash and soaps, along with Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES). They function as surfactants—water- and oil-soluble compounds that, when combined with water, foam and emulsify greasy substances. While SLS and SLES are not sensitizers (molecules that cause allergic reactions), they are irritants. If you have an itchy or flaky scalp, one of the simplest things you can try is washing your hair with an SLS–free shampoo. An SLS–free shampoo does not contain the harsh and irritating ingredient sodium lauryl sulphate, which is a foaming agent (detergent) used by many of the big brands in hair care.
The search for SLS and SLeS free foaming products, such as face or body wash or a simple toxin-free shower gel or shampoo is still a daunting prospect.
There are also conflicting opinions about ingredients such as Cocamidopropyl betaine and various others. Even scent-free bases often sold by aromatherapy suppliers might contain some unwelcomed ingredients such as methylisothiazolinone and others.
There are however products which you could easily combine to make a gentle foaming hand or body wash suitable for your whole family. It can act as a shower gel or even a shampoo. And you could fragrance it yourself too!
Join us for an informative and fun, hands-on workshop and find out how! We will cover:
- Ingredients to avoid and why
- What to use to make your own product
- How to fragrance it – essential oils safe for everyone, what to use and why. (If you wish to fragrance your product in class please bring along your own essential oils – a list of suggested oils will be provided)
- Clever, safe, packaging solution
- You will make a bottle of a product to take home!
Who Can Attend?
All welcome, no previous qualifications required.
Duration: 3 hours
Course fees include:
- All class tuition
- All ingredients used in class (except essential oils)
Plus you will take home with you
- An MSCM Certificate of Attendance for your professional portfolio
- 3 cpd points
- Your own product made in class
Course DatesPlease note - all deposits and course fees are non-refundable.
All transfers are at the discretion of the school and would be subject to an administrative charge of £25.00 (+VAT)
December 2019 - Saturday - 2pm - 5pm
Cost: £50.00 (+VAT)
July 2020 - Sunday - 10am - 5pm
Cost: £50.00 (+VAT)