This is arguably one of the most valuable courses you could ever undertake!
With the confusing media coverage of the most recent changes to the dietary recommendations and magazines and internet sources recommending various ‘fad’ diets and miracle supplements, it is difficult to find out what ‘healthy eating’ or ‘balance diet’ actually mean! As we finally realise that the nutritional value of the foods available to us is constantly diminishing it is no wonder that ‘what should I be actually eating?’ is one of the most often asked questions.
Undoubtedly, what we eat, how we eat and how much we eat plays a vital role in our lives. Research confirms that the root causes of the majority of the ailments that we come across in our daily lives – from arthritis and diabetes, through fertility issues, cardiovascular diseases to cancer – are primarily due to improper intake of food and lack of a balanced diet. Studies show that our stress levels and even our mental health depend on what we eat and can benefit from the right selection of foods! Therefore, the necessity of proper nutrition and, perhaps most importantly the secrets of how to make the best advantage of the food, is what is discussed in this course.
“The key to a healthy life is healthy living”. This certificate course will help you get familiar with everything you need to know about the basics of a proper nutrition!
This unique intensive 6 day in-class course will offer an opportunity to study the subject not only in more depth but also in a more practical and interactive way. It will introduce you to basic concepts of nutrition and highlights ways that your clients (and you!) can integrate good nutrition into their lifestyles. In fascinating detail, you`ll explore the food pyramid, diet planning, the digestive system, and how nutrients affect energy, wellness, and disease. Principles of digestion and absorption, the function of nutrients, disease prevention, diet modifications, and weight controls are also covered. Practical application of these principles to the clients` lives are emphasized and made easy enabling you to help others achieve better health with confidence! You will be able to give clients clear, concise and no-nonsense step-by-step guidance, in an attempt to clarify the minefield of information being given at present.
The real bonus of this course is what you will be able to gain through in-class activities and discussions, which will help you learn how to analyse a food diary, carry out some simple calculations (body mass index, daily calorific needs, etc.), come up with a health benefiting strategy and create a realistic meal plan. In addition to the comprehensive course manual you will also get additional charts, such as an exhaustive list of gluten-free grains (includes over 140 grains, seeds and related foodstuffs from all over the world!) and a handy ‘best sources’ of minerals and vitamins guide. Throughout the course we will be sharing many exciting recipes utilising some truly useful super-foods – all ready to share with your future clients! We have even created various templates – from thorough consultation form, including mineral and vitamin deficiency ‘finder’, to the actual case study template – to make your progress fast and case studies easy and fun! All of this will also help you build a successful practice!
The ITEC Diet & Nutrition course covers the following subject areas:
- Understanding the digestive system – structure of the digestive system, the alimentary canal, accessory organs, the ‘forgotten organ’ of the gut flora; the processes of digestion (enzymes) and absorption
- Nutrition: – functions and sources, body requirements – basal metabolic rate and daily calorific requirements and connection to age, body size, gender, etc.
- Food components and their role in the diet: carbohydrates, simple sugars, fibre, proteins and fats (saturated, monounsaturated, polyunsaturated, transfats), good and bad cholesterol, their nutritional values and medical conditions resulting from overconsumptions or not sufficient intake of each.
- Macro- and micro-nutrients – minerals and vitamins, antioxidants, sources, functions and signs of deficiencies.
- Dehydration – water, tap water, bottled water, water filters; dehydration, toxicity and the strain on other organs.
- Disorders of the digestive system and others – constipation, coeliac disease, irritable bowel syndrome (ibs), various others, anorexia, bulimia, diabetes, hypoglycaemia, obesity.
- Nutritional value of foods – red meat in the diet and its effects on cancer , eggs in the diet and the effect on cholesterol levels, dairy products and alternatives, daily intake of milk or use of other sources of calcium in order to prevent osteoporosis organic foods , superfoods , detoxifying, juices, soya products.
- Loss of nutrients – through processing, cooking and storage; refined and unrefined foods.
- Food processing – additives, preservatives, commercial antioxidants, sequestrants, flavour enhancers, thickeners, emulsifiers, colours, sweeteners, e numbers, and associated health issues.
- Common anti-nutrients – tea and coffee, carbonated drinks, alcohol, smoking, contraceptive pill, antibiotics, etc.
- Rda’s for special groups: including adolescents and the elderly.
- Weight loss
- Vegetarians and vegans – protein combining and non-animal sources of proteins.
- Food allergies : food intolerance : food poisoning – dairy and gluten, nuts.
- Probiotics – prebiotics, probiotics and probiotic diet.
- Common ailments related to nutritional imbalance – common cold, influenza, cystitis, water retention , arthritis, pmt, sinusitis, migraine, asthma, stress, eczema, psoriasis, cellulite.
- Healthy eating & balanced diets – practical approach.
- Consultations and note taking: preparing case studies.
Ah, and let’s not forget – as it is often the case with our courses at MSCM – we include some valuable extracurricular aspects of Diet and Nutrition, e.g. the alkaline diet or the dietary needs specific to the various cultural/ethnic groups.
Therapists attending this course have two options:
Option 1: You are welcome to take ITEC examination (see below for details) and gain the professional qualification.
Option 2: For those who do not wish to attain the qualification in this subject you will receive an attendance certificate (30 CPD points) only.
Who Can Attend?
This ITEC Diet & Nutrition for Complementary Therapists course is open to all qualified therapists.
Upon satisfactory completion of the course and 5 case studies, you will be eligible to sit the ITEC Certificate in Diet and Nutrition Level 3 examination which comprises a 30 minute Multiple Choice Theory Paper comprising 25 questions. Examination days run regularly throughout the year. Exams can be booked by arrangement.
To help you get ready for the exam we have prepared an exclusive ‘Revision Pack’ with an answers checker!
ITEC Exam Fees: £85.00 (+VAT)
Payable prior to course commencement.
Once qualified to this level, students will be awarded an ITEC Certificate in Diet and Nutrition for Complementary Therapists
Qualification Recognition by Professional Associations
The ITEC Level 3 Certificate in Diet and Nutrition for Complementary Therapists is widely accepted by most Professional Bodies including:
- IPTI – (Independent Professional Therapists International)
- CThA (Complementary Therapists Association)
- APNT (Association of Physical and Natural Therapists)
- FHT (Federation of Holistic Therapists)
- BCMA (British Complementary Medicine Association)
- CNHC Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council)
Duration – 6 days
Course fees include:
- All class tuition
- A comprehensive course manual
- Useful charts and guides
- Comprehensive consultation forms
- Various templates, such as a case study template, meal plan and food diary as well as recipes
- Case study ‘how to’ guidelines
- Revision pack
- Marking of case studies
Course DatesPlease note - all deposits and course fees are non-refundable.
All transfers are at the discretion of the school and would be subject to an administrative charge of £25.00 (+VAT)
October 2020 - December 2020 - 3 weekends - 10am - 5pm
Cost: £395.00 (+VAT)