This Diet and Nutrition certificate course will help you get familiar with everything you need to know about the basics of a proper nutrition!
With the confusing media coverage of the most recent changes to the dietary recommendations and magazines and internet sources recommending various ‘fad’ diets and miracle supplements, it is difficult to find out what ‘healthy eating’ or ‘balance diet’ actually mean! As we finally realise that the nutritional value of the foods available to us is constantly diminishing it is no wonder that ‘what should I be actually eating?’ is one of the most often asked questions.
“The key to a healthy life is healthy living”.
Undoubtedly, what we eat, how we eat and how much we eat plays a vital role in our lives. Research confirms that the root causes of the majority of the ailments that we come across in our daily lives – from arthritis and diabetes, through fertility issues, cardiovascular diseases to cancer – are primarily due to improper intake of food and lack of a balanced diet. Studies show that our stress levels and even our mental health depend on what we eat and can benefit from the right selection of foods! Therefore, the necessity of proper nutrition and, perhaps most importantly the secrets of how to make the best advantage of the food, is what is covered in this course.
Why do this course?
As a therapist, this is arguably one of the most valuable courses you could ever undertake! It will introduce you to basic concepts and principles of nutrition and highlights ways that your clients (and you!) can integrate good nutrition into their lifestyles. Practical application of these principles to the clients` lives are emphasized and made easy enabling you to help others achieve better health with confidence! You will be able to give clients clear, concise and no-nonsense step-by-step guidance, in an attempt to clarify the minefield of information being given at present.
This home study course will introduce you not only to basic concepts of nutrition, but also the food pyramid, the digestive system, and how nutrients affect energy, wellness, and disease. You will learn about the principles of digestion and absorption, the function of nutrients and disease prevention. Furthermore, you will be able to give clients clear, concise and no-nonsense guidance, in an attempt to clarify the minefield of information being given at present.
We have even created various templates, such as, thorough consultation form, including mineral and vitamin deficiency ‘finder’, to the actual case study template – to make your progress fast and case studies easy.
All of this will also help you build a successful practice!
The ITEC Diet & Nutrition course covers the following subject areas:
- Understanding the digestive system – such as, structure of the digestive system, the alimentary canal, accessory organs, the ‘forgotten organ’ of the gut flora; the processes of digestion (enzymes) and absorption
- Nutrition: – functions and sources, body requirements – basal metabolic rate and daily calorific requirements and connection to age, body size, gender, etc.
- Food components and their role in the diet: such as, carbohydrates, simple sugars, fibre, proteins and fats (saturated, monounsaturated, polyunsaturated, transfats), good and bad cholesterol, their nutritional values and medical conditions resulting from overconsumptions or not sufficient intake of each.
- Macro- and micro-nutrients such as, minerals and vitamins, antioxidants, sources, functions and signs of deficiencies.
- Dehydration – water, tap water, bottled water, water filters; dehydration, toxicity and the strain on other organs.
- Disorders of the digestive system and others – such as, constipation, coeliac disease, irritable bowel syndrome (ibs), various others, anorexia, bulimia, diabetes, hypoglycaemia, obesity.
- Nutritional value of foods – red meat in the diet and its effects on cancer , eggs in the diet and the effect on cholesterol levels, dairy products and alternatives, daily intake of milk or use of other sources of calcium in order to prevent osteoporosis organic foods , superfoods , detoxifying, juices, soya products.
- Loss of nutrients – through processing, cooking and storage; refined and unrefined foods.
- Food processing – such as, additives, preservatives, commercial antioxidants, sequestrants, flavour enhancers, thickeners, emulsifiers, colours, sweeteners, e numbers, and associated health issues.
- Common anti-nutrients – such as, tea and coffee, carbonated drinks, alcohol, smoking, contraceptive pill, antibiotics, etc.
- Rda’s for special groups: such as, adolescents and the elderly.
- Weight loss
- Vegetarians and vegans – protein combining and non-animal sources of proteins.
- Food allergies : such as, food intolerance : food poisoning – dairy and gluten, nuts.
- Probiotics – such as, prebiotics, probiotics and probiotic diet.
- Common ailments related to nutritional imbalance – such as, common cold, influenza, cystitis, water retention , arthritis, pmt, sinusitis, migraine, asthma, stress, eczema, psoriasis, cellulite.
- Healthy eating & balanced diets – practical approach.
- Consultations and note taking: preparing case studies.
Included in the course information will be:
- the required course information
- self test worksheets
- course assignment requirements
- ITEC Core Syllabus
Who Can Take this Course?
This ITEC Diet & Nutrition for Complementary Therapists course is open to all qualified therapists. It will suit those who enjoy studying at home at their own pace.
Once you have completed the course and 5 case studies, you will be eligible to sit the examination. This comprises a 30 minute Multiple Choice Theory Paper comprising 25 questions. Examination days run regularly throughout the year. Exams can be booked here – Diet and Nutrition – ITEC Examination
ITEC Exam Fees: £85.00 (+VAT)
Once qualified to this level, students will be awarded an ITEC Certificate in Diet and Nutrition for Complementary Therapists
Qualification Recognition by Professional Associations
The ITEC Level 3 Certifcate in Diet and Nutrition for Complementary Therapists is widely accepted by most Professional Bodies including the following:
- ICGT (International Guild of Therapists)
- CThA (Complementary Therapists Association)
- FHT (Federation of Holistic Therapists)
- AOR (Association of Reflexologists)
- BCMA (British Complementary Medicine Association)
- CNHC Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council)
Duration – 6 months access. Monthly extension – £5.00 a month
Course fees include:
- On-line course
- Useful charts and guides
- Comprehensive consultation forms
- Various templates, such as a case study template, meal plan and food diary as well as recipes
- Case study ‘how to’ guidelines
- Revision pack
- Marking of case studies
You may also find the following courses very beneficial:-
To book on the course please use the following link
£195.00 +VAT = £234.00
Spread the costs – £32.50 +VAT for 6 months