“The key to a healthy life is healthy living”. This certificate course will help you get familiar with everything you need to know about the basics of a proper nutrition!
This home study course will introduce you to basic concepts of nutrition. You will explore the food pyramid, the digestive system, and how nutrients affect energy, wellness, and disease. Principles of digestion and absorption, the function of nutrients and disease prevention are also covered. You will be able to give clients clear, concise and no-nonsense guidance, in an attempt to clarify the minefield of information being given at present.
We have even created various templates – from thorough consultation form, including mineral and vitamin deficiency ‘finder’, to the actual case study template – to make your progress fast and case studies easy.
All of this will also help you build a successful practice!
The ITEC Diet & Nutrition course covers the following subject areas:
- Understanding the digestive system – structure of the digestive system, the alimentary canal, accessory organs, the ‘forgotten organ’ of the gut flora; the processes of digestion (enzymes) and absorption
- Nutrition: – functions and sources, body requirements – basal metabolic rate and daily calorific requirements and connection to age, body size, gender, etc.
- Food components and their role in the diet: carbohydrates, simple sugars, fibre, proteins and fats (saturated, monounsaturated, polyunsaturated, transfats), good and bad cholesterol, their nutritional values and medical conditions resulting from overconsumptions or not sufficient intake of each.
- Macro- and micro-nutrients – minerals and vitamins, antioxidants, sources, functions and signs of deficiencies.
- Dehydration – water, tap water, bottled water, water filters; dehydration, toxicity and the strain on other organs.
- Disorders of the digestive system and others – constipation, coeliac disease, irritable bowel syndrome (ibs), various others, anorexia, bulimia, diabetes, hypoglycaemia, obesity.
- Nutritional value of foods – red meat in the diet and its effects on cancer , eggs in the diet and the effect on cholesterol levels, dairy products and alternatives, daily intake of milk or use of other sources of calcium in order to prevent osteoporosis organic foods , superfoods , detoxifying, juices, soya products.
- Loss of nutrients – through processing, cooking and storage; refined and unrefined foods.
- Food processing – additives, preservatives, commercial antioxidants, sequestrants, flavour enhancers, thickeners, emulsifiers, colours, sweeteners, e numbers, and associated health issues.
- Common anti-nutrients – tea and coffee, carbonated drinks, alcohol, smoking, contraceptive pill, antibiotics, etc.
- Rda’s for special groups: including adolescents and the elderly.
- Weight loss
- Vegetarians and vegans – protein combining and non-animal sources of proteins.
- Food allergies : food intolerance : food poisoning – dairy and gluten, nuts.
- Probiotics – prebiotics, probiotics and probiotic diet.
- Common ailments related to nutritional imbalance – common cold, influenza, cystitis, water retention , arthritis, pmt, sinusitis, migraine, asthma, stress, eczema, psoriasis, cellulite.
- Healthy eating & balanced diets – practical approach.
- Consultations and note taking: preparing case studies.
Included in the course information will be:
- the required course information
- self test worksheets
- course assignment requirements
- ITEC Core Syllabus
Who Can Take this Course?
This ITEC Diet & Nutrition for Complementary Therapists course is open to all qualified therapists. It will suit those who enjoy studying at home at their own pace.
Upon satisfactory completion of the course and 5 case studies, you will be eligible to sit the ITEC Certificate in Diet and Nutrition Level 3 examination which comprises a 30 minute Multiple Choice Theory Paper comprising 25 questions. Examination days run regularly throughout the year. Exams can be booked by arrangement.
ITEC Exam Fees: £85.00 (+VAT)
Once qualified to this level, students will be awarded an ITEC Diploma in Diet and Nutrition for Complementary Therapists
Qualification Recognition by Professional Associations
The ITEC Level 3 Diploma in Diet and Nutrition for Complementary Therapists is widely accepted by most Professional Bodies including:
- IPTI – (Independent Professional Therapists International)
- CThA (Complementary Therapists Association)
- APNT (Association of Physical and Natural Therapists)
- FHT (Federation of Holistic Therapists)
- BCMA (British Complementary Medicine Association)
- CNHC Complementary and Natural Healthcare Council)
Duration – 6 monhs access. Monthly extension – £5.00 a month
Course fees include:
- On-line course
- Useful charts and guides
- Comprehensive consultation forms
- Various templates, such as a case study template, meal plan and food diary as well as recipes
- Case study ‘how to’ guidelines
- Revision pack
- Marking of case studies
Course DatesPlease note - all deposits and course fees are non-refundable.
All transfers are at the discretion of the school and would be subject to an administrative charge of £25.00 (+VAT)