Deep tissue massage does what it says “on the tin” –
- It involves massage technique that works on the deeper layers of muscle tissue.
- It aims to release the chronic patterns of tension in the body through slow strokes and deep finger pressure on the contracted areas, either following or going across the fibres of the muscles, tendons and fascia.
- Using deep muscle compression and friction along the grain of the muscle, the purpose of Deep Tissue Massage is to unstick the fibres of the muscles and release both toxins and deeply held tension points.
- Specific hand positions and strokes are used to respond to various tissues while breath and movement techniques are employed to release muscular congestion.
- It helps to loosen muscle tissues, release toxins from muscles and get blood and oxygen circulating properly.
- It is both corrective and therapeutic.
- Deep Tissue Massage teaches the muscular and connective structures to let go, move on, and recalculate its position within the body. Deep Tissue work can relieve pain, promote healing, and realign the body.
- It is beneficial for many physical problems, including sports injuries and chronic pain.
- Because it works very deeply, emotional issues can also be addressed, when these have been stored in the body.
One of the defining differences between deep tissue and regular massage is the use of other parts of the body. A standard massage usually only involves the hands and lower arms of the therapist. During a deep tissue massage, however, the therapist will use forearms, elbows, hand joints and fingers for deep, penetrating work in the muscle, using intense movements to weaken the adhesions in inner tissues.
It is estimated that one in four people suffers from some form of musculoskeletal dysfunction. The areas most commonly affected are the upper and lower back, neck, and upper and lower extremities. Contributing factors include work injury, personal injury, accidents, sports and aging.
Deep tissue massage techniques can greatly benefit sufferers of chronic pain and injury. However, there is a general misunderstanding of the concept of deep tissue massage. Deep tissue does not mean working harder or stronger, the therapist simply works deeper and slower by sinking through superficial layers into the deeper structures using compression and lengthening techniques.
Deep tissue massage can harm both the client and the therapist if not performed appropriately.
Join us for this practical one-day workshop, and we will introduce you to the safe and appropriate use of a number of deep tissue techniques. A simple, down-to-earth introduction to a world beyond basic massage!
During the workshop we will cover :
o Deep tissue techniques – the truth!
o How deep is deep?
o We will explore such techniques as:
– Pre-treatment palpation
– Simple assessment skills
– Broad contact compression
– Forearm use/Finger and thumb frictions/Heel of hand work
– Petrissage application and technique
– Caresse du poing (closed hand effleurage)
– Alternative positioning of clients for deeper work
o How these techniques can enhance your treatments
o Contra-indications to deep tissue techniques
o Safety considerations – for client & therapist
This will be a fun packed day with lots of sharing and learning taking place. The day will be very interactive. As a result of this workshop you will leave feeling confident in the application of all the moves and techniques shown and raring to get going with your clients. It will also give you the opportunity to discover if Deep Tissue work is for you, prior to studying it in more depth.
Who Can Attend?
This workshop is designed for practitioners, qualified in any form of Body Massage Therapy.
Recognition by Professional Associations
Validated by IPTI – (Independent Professional Therapists International) and widely accepted by most Professional Bodies
The workshop will be largely practical in content and you will be required to wear appropriate clinic workwear for the duration of the course. During the session you will practise on each other under the supervision of the tutor who will offer guidance and feedback.
Duration: 1 day
Course fees include:
~ All class tuition
~ A comprehensive course manual
~ An MSCM Certificate of Attendance for your professional portfolio
~ 5 cpd points
Course DatesPlease note - all deposits and course fees are non-refundable.
All transfers are at the discretion of the school and would be subject to an administrative charge of £25.00 (+VAT)
September 2019 - Saturday - 10am - 5pm
Cost: £95.00 (+VAT)