Baby massage is a loving, nurturing touch. Some of the most intimate and deeply communicative moments between a parent and their baby are often spent in utter silence as they stroke a back, smooth a belly or run a finger under the arch of a tender baby foot. There is no substitute for a parent’s loving touch. Particularly, babies first learn the comfort and security of loving and of being loved though touch.
Benefits of Baby Massage?
Baby massage has a wide range of both psychological and physiological benefits. Numerous studies have found that it not only helps develop the natural parent-child bond but it also plays a significant role in promoting the healthy growth and development of infants. It is also a useful tool for everyday situations – it can relieve a host of childhood complaints from colic to constipation – and essential for enhancement of the infant’s wellbeing.
An ancient tradition and still a ‘must’ in many cultures baby massage had not been practiced widely in the West until the 1980’s. Unsuprisingly, European parents still tend to lack confidence to carry out even the simplest of massages.
Why Train in Baby Massage?
As a Certified Baby Massage Instructor you will be able to introduce parents and carers to the joy of baby massage and lead them step by step through the suitable ‘routine’. You will be equipped with the skills and knowledge to run both groups and one-to-one sessions enabling parents or carers to massage their baby confidently and safely.
By introducing this practice into your portfolio you will rapidly open up new areas of business. Consequently, this will result in a new group of potential clients, many of whom will hopefully come to you for other treatments. Your business will soon grow.
This course involves both practical and theoretical work in the following areas.
~ ASSESSING THE NEEDS OF THE PARENT/CARER AND INFANT
- Effective communication and consultation skills
- Full assessment of relevant physical and emotional background
- Clients’ expectation and goals
- Accommodating clients with special needs e.g. partially sighted/blind
- Parents’ right to choose
~ BABY MASSAGE TECHNIQUES
- Origins and background
- Baby communication e.g. cues and reflexes
- Benefits – for the parents and the baby
- Conditions requiring adaptation of the routine or timing
- Setting up e.g. safe environment
- Baby positioning
- Physical and psychological effects of baby massage movements
- Recommended mediums
~ TEACHING SKILLS
- Presentation vs. teaching
- Communication and teaching skills
- Lesson planning
- One-to-one and group facilitation
~ BUSINESS SKILLS
- Marketing e.g. identifying client base
- Selecting a suitable venue
Assessment – Baby Massage Instructor
In order to qualify in the above certificate you will be required to:
- Demonstrate the ability to run a session for parents/carers during day 2
- Deliver a 10-15-minutes Microteach session on any given subject during day 2
- Complete and write up a Baby Massage Workshop following the course
Who Can Attend?
This workshop is designed for practitioners, qualified in any form of Body Massage Therapy.
Recognition by Professional Associations
Widely accepted by most Professional Bodies. If you are not already registered with a Professional Body and would like to do so here are some useful links – ICGT, APNT , CtHA, FHT. For stand alone insurance Balens
The course will be largely practical in content and you will be required to wear appropriate clinic workwear for the duration of the course.
Duration: 2 days
Course fees include the following:
- All class tuition
- A comprehensive course manual
- An MSCM Certificate of Attendance for your professional portfolio
- 10 cpd points
Exam Fees: – £50.00 (+VAT)
Payable prior to course commencement.
- Practical assessment
- Marking of workshop write-up
- Issue of certificate
You may also find the following course very beneficial:
May 2022 - Weekend - Starting 7th May - 10am - 5pm
Cost: £235.00 (+VAT)