Taking Your Massage to the next level
Fascia, the soft tissue surrounding muscles, bones, and organs, plays a crucial role in supporting the body. By learning to intelligently manipulate it, a bodyworker or therapist can help clients with many chronic conditions, providing immediate pain relief as well as reducing ongoing aches and pains.
What is AFR?
‘Active Fascial Release’ has been developed and pioneered by James Earls, a specialist structural integration practitioner and Anatomy Trains teacher. It blends his in-depth understanding of myofascial continuities and functional movement principles with hands-on manipulation of the soft tissue to create a variety of therapeutic effects.
What makes ‘Active Fascial Release’ (AFR) special?
- AFR is a new and exciting approach to bodywork
- AFR techniques are versatile and effective and based on a blended understanding of functional and myofascial anatomy.
- Active Fascial Release offers a functional and four-dimensional understanding of the body – an essential aspect of modern manual therapy.
- AFR breaks the ties to and removes the limitations of the treatment table, by bringing the client upright in gravity and into movement.
This exclusive course is designed for any qualified, motivated and dedicated therapist who really wants to expand their understanding of the human body and the applications of manual therapy.
Integrating 26 years of bodywork experience, working with many industry leaders, James Earls will take you step-by-step through a process that accelerates your ability to see form and function in your clients. It will change the way you see and understand the body and will completely transform the way you work as a massage therapist- with more ease, greater accuracy and improved results.
Blending a range of touch and assessment techniques you will journey through the body over a period of 10 months and attain a comprehensive grasp of anatomy, tissue types and how to treat structural and functional deficits in your clients.
- Module 1 – Introduction – touch & postural/ movement analysis
- Module 2 – Lower Limb 1
- Module 3 – Lower Limb 2
- Module 4 – Trunk
- Module 5 – Spine
- Module 6 – Arms
- Module 7 – Neck and Review
- Module 8 – Review and Assessment
What makes this course so special?
- First and fore-most it is unique. There is nothing else like it available in the UK and it will be offered exclusively at MSCM in 2019.
- James usually works with very large groups. However, we are very fortunate as this course will be restricted to a maximum of 16 enabling James to work with each and every attendee.
- This is so much more than a course – it is a mentorship programme. Students will receive extensive support material on-line as well as access to James for the duration of the course
- In addition to the in-class tuition each student will receive two private tutorials in person with James – either via Skype or 1-2-1 depending on your geography. This will greatly enhance the learning experience.
- A private Facebook group will be set up for on-going regular group contact and discussions
- Each student will receive full support materials – all the required textbooks, on-line material and two private tutorials
- There is no formal examination at the end of the course and therefore no extra exam fees. You will be assessed as part of a continual process. You will not be required to submit a portfolio of case studies. There will however be homework and research assignments. The training will require you to work, but it will be fun, it will be fully supported and it will be effective.
Who Can Attend?
This course is designed for practitioners, qualified in any form of Body Massage Therapy. This course/mentorship programme is designed for motivated, dedicated therapists who want to accelerate their career by receiving a distillation of 26 years of experience in just a few months.
Qualification Recognition by Professional Associations
Validated by IPTI – (Independent Professional Therapists International) and widely accepted by most Professional Bodies – 30 cpd points
Course fees include:
- 16 days classroom tuition
- 2 private one-to-one tutorials in person with James Earls
- A full set of course materials:
- Text book – ‘Trail Guide to the Body: A hands-on guide to locating muscles, bones and more’ by Andrew Biel
- Text book – ‘Fascial Release for Structural Balance’ by James Earls and Thomas Myers
- Text book – ‘Born to Walk: Myofascial Efficiency and the Body in Movement’ by James Earls
- Text book – ‘Fascia: What it is and why it matters’ by David Lesondak
- Notebook/Folder & Pen
- Dropbox facility with access to:
- video content – showing demos of technique and assessments
- research papers as appropriate to the class
- guided homework/research questions resource
- Private group Facebook page for regular updates and discussion forum
- Upon the successful completion of the course you will receive an MSCM – James Earls Diploma in Advanced Bodywork
- Dropbox facility with access to:
We are so fortunate and excited to be hosting the brilliant James Earls here at MSCM. James is an acclaimed author, lecturer and bodyworker specialising in Myofascial Release and Structural Integration.
Increasing the understanding and practice of manual therapy has been a passion of James’ since he first started practicing bodywork over 20 years ago. Throughout his career James has travelled widely to learn from the best educators in his field, including Thomas Myers, developer of the Anatomy Trains concept. James and Tom founded Kinesis UK, which co-ordinates Anatomy Trains and Kinesis Myofascial Integration training throughout Europe, and together they authored ‘Fascial Release for Structural Balance,’ the definitive guide to the assessment and manipulation of fascial patterns.
James teaches a range of courses across the UK and Europe as the Director of Kinesis UK. He is a regular lecturer at conferences and workshops around the world. Renowned for his relaxed and humorous style, James is a popular presenter whose subject is applicable for a wide-ranging audience that includes osteopaths, physiotherapists, massage therapists and movement therapists, and is in demand from the Sports Medicine departments of Premiership Football and Premier League Rugby teams. He is also the founder and Director of Ultimate Massage Solutions, one of the UK’s most prestigious providers of professional literature and workshops in the bodywork field.
James has collaborated with some of the top researchers in bodywork and fascial theory including Art Riggs and Robert Schleip. He is currently studying for an MSc in Human Anatomy and Evolution and after three years of research, recently authored the well-received ‘Born to Walk’ book a blend of comparative and functional anatomy an introduction to the interconnected mechanics of the body for therapists who wish to understand gait more deeply.
Course DatesPlease note - all deposits and course fees are non-refundable.
All transfers are at the discretion of the school and would be subject to an administrative charge of £25.00 (+VAT)